Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Great Synagogue in Plzen, Czech Republic



I walked around in the 2nd largest synagogue in Europe today in Plzen, CZ Rep.  There are fewer than 100 Jews in that town now.  Only 200 of the thousands who built the synagogue returned after the holocaust.

 I got in the car and, while Randy drove, I checked my email and the news.  And I read that protesters in St Louis (against the recent exoneration of a police officer who was recorded saying he was going to kill a black man) were surrounded by hundreds of police and tear gassed.  They happened to be near a synagogue and the rabbi there opened the doors and sheltered the protesters.  Police supporters tweeted the hashtag "#GasTheSynagogue." Horrible images from Nazi years were posted and shared.  Twitter did not stop this.


Have we no memory? How is this happening again?

No comments:

Post a Comment